Sesame-Ginger Beef Lo Mein
Prep: 15 minutesCook: 25 minutesServes: 4
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¾ pound sirloin steak, cut crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices
- 1 package (10.5 ounces) AFS® Chopped Pepper Mix
- 1 package (6 ounces) AFS® Chopped Yellow Onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ½ (16-ounce) package spaghetti, broken into 3-inch pieces
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) less-sodium beef broth
- ¾ cup water
- 1/3 cup less-sodium stir-fry teriyaki sauce and marinade
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- In large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat 1 minute. Add beef; cook 2 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. With slotted spoon, transfer beef to bowl.
- In same skillet, add Chopped Pepper Mix and Chopped Yellow Onion; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic, ginger and white pepper; cook 1 minute. Transfer mixture to bowl with beef.
- Add spaghetti to same skillet; cook 2 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring constantly. Stir in broth, water and teriyaki sauce; heat to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook 15 minutes or until spaghetti is tender, stirring occasionally, adding beef mixture during last 2 minutes of cooking. Remove from heat; stir in sesame oil. Makes about 6 cups.
Note from Dietitian
Onions and peppers are good sources of vitamin C. This recipe contains 701mg sodium. The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend limiting daily sodium intake to 2300 mg. Limit sodium in other daily meals as part of a balanced approach to a healthy diet.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Department of Agriculture. 2015 - 2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. 8th Edition. December 2015. Available at https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/
Approximate nutritional values per serving
- 471 Calories
- 13g Fat (4g Saturated)
- 55mg Cholesterol
- 701mg Sodium
- 57g Carbohydrates
- 4g Fiber
- 10g Sugars
- 3g Added Sugars
- 30g Protein